Carlington Community Health Centre’s Adopt-a-Program
A computer can access the Internet, but a computer club can also access social skills and self-esteem. Would you or your company like to adopt the Belair Computer Club and help it provide access and confidence to its Members? The Belair Computer Club, a non-profit club for low-income people in the Belair Community,
- introduces community members to work ing with computers
- provides basic computer training to mem bers
- encourages members to pursue further educational/vocational opportunities
- creates a relaxed, club-like atmosphere for learning and socializing
As a result:
- people who would not normally have access to expensive equipment can learn how to use computers
- the club breaks down isolation within the community
- the supportive environment makes learning fun and provides a social element
- using the computers builds self-confidence as well as skills.
- five community members have been placed in St. Nicholas Adult High School.
The Belair Computer Club is operated entirely by volunteers and has received assistance from Trinity United Church, private sources, and The Anti-Poverty Project, including computer components, cabinets, and Internet access. However, the Club needs upgrades as well as ongoing supplies to keep operating:
- additional RAM (random access memory) - one-time
- upgraded word processing software - one-time
- paper for computer and for laser printer - ongoing.
Do you know a good-hearted computer company that could adopt the Club and help its work with the community? Call Wanda Romaniec at 722-4000 for adoption. Carlington Community and Health Services is a non-profit community-based health centre which provides health and social services, is committed to the well-being of our community, promotes social, economic, physical, mental and environmental health, and is responsible to the community through an elected Board of Directors. Our staff and volunteers work together to achieve these goals. For information on becoming a volunteer or a member, please call us at 722-4000.