October 2nd, 2000
There was a wonderful turnout for the first school council meeting of the year with 42 people in attendance. A great start for the new school year!
Jayne Ditz-Mathewson chaired the meeting.
A brief introduction was given by Mr Finnerty, the Principal who talked about:
- Enrolment this year at W.E. Gowling has been higher than expected up from a projected 480 students to 525. This means we are entitled to an additional teacher. We will be adding a Grade 1 class taught by Ms McGuire Clark. Ms Fleck will teach 2 kindergarten classes. Now interviewing for a teacher for SELC (Special Education Learning Centre).
- School code of behaviour, key words – “act reasonably”.
- Opening exercises at the school in clude singing “Oh Canada”, announcements, birthdays and listening to a piece of classical music.
- W.E. Gowling is not threatened by the school closure process.
- We have a new Superintendent, Judith Hoy and are now considered part of the Broadview “family of schools”. The Broadview “family” includes the following schools; Elmdale, Hilson, Devonshire, Connaught, Churchill, Broadview and Fisher/Summit.
- The School council is invited to help formulate the Principal profile which is used during the appointment process of a new principal.
- In Grade 3, EQAO testing we would like to improve our children's reading score. The EQAO testing has a strong language component. We are waiting for the results of 1999 tests. Children tested last year are the first to have been taught the Companion Reading programme for three years.
- Extra curricular activities at the school include: writing, craft, chess and sports clubs.
Vice Principal Ms Hollet talked about:
- Child identification programme
- Volunteers from the community must undergo a screening process. They are referred to OCRI (Ottawa Centre for Research and Innovation) for initial screening.
- Safety of children crossing at the Merivale Rd/ Anna traffic light. Use of crossing guard or other solutions? School will liaise with police and report back at next meeting.
Pete Parent has been voted in as the new Treasurer.
The school council still owes OCDSB (Ottawa Carleton District School Board) $3089.46 for the play structure, we hope to raise the rest of the money from corporate sponsors.
Annette Parent, Fundraiser talked about:
- M&M fundraising campaign
- Hot dog days, volunteers always needed.
- There will be no Craft Sale this Christmas instead a Garage sale/ plant sale is planned for the spring.
- New ideas for fund-raising always welcome. Call Annette at 729-0397
Carolyn Quinn, Kim Varas and May AbouSeido volunteered to become members-at-large on the executive of the school council.
Carolyn Quinn has approached OCDSB about the possibility of starting a recorder class during lunch recess or after school, if we have enough interested children they will send a teacher. Parents will be surveyed.
Elections for school trustees are on November 13th, we hope to have the candidates for our zone at the next meeting:
Next school council meeting November 6th at 7:00p.m. in the library. Anyone interested in education in our community is welcome to attend.