PROVINCIAL GOVíT WANTS TO TURN THE CLOCK BACK ON WORKERS!
The Ontario Government is planning changes to the Employment Standards Act. We do not believe these changes will be good for Workers in Ontario. They are proposing you:
- Work a 60 hour work week;
- Get overtime pay only after 132 hours in 3 weeks, not after 44 hours in one week;
- Take your vacation one day at a time instead of one week at a time;
- Get no alternate day off if you work a public holiday;
- Only get two days off every two weeks instead of one day off every week -- work 12 days in a row without being given a day of rest;
The government is planning to bring in new legislation to make these changes any day now. But it's not too late. These changes are not in place. Yet.
Tell the government you do not what they are proposing but that what you, your co-workers and your family really need:
- Increase the minimum wage $1.00 per hour immediately;
- Overtime pay after 40 hours in a week;
- 3 weeks vacation after 5 years;
- Tough enforcement of minimum standards;
- ‚ÄúJust cause‚ÄĚ protection ‚ÄĒ employers should not be able to fire people at will.
You can tell the government what you want by calling Premier Mike Harris at (416) 325-7341 or Fax (416) 325-6241 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org